Thursday, November 21, 2002
I learned to tap dance at lunch today.

After much success with the Wendy's scholarship (yay!), I have decided to look towards another award, this time, I'm going Provincial. I saw this ad in the paper a while back and I've been ignoring it for a while, but a few days ago, I figured I might as well go for it. It's the Ontario Junior Citizen Award and I'm actually really excited about it now. How cool would it be to Junior Citizen of the Year? Extremely, I think. I just need to fill out another annoying application form and find others to sing praises of me. Whee. It feels strange to ask for reference letters, it kind of makes it feel as though you weren't really volunteering your time because you're getting this letter back...it feels like money or something...I've always thought that one should never receive anything tangible for volunteering; the warm fuzzy feeling inside is enough.

I spoke at the DECA Workshop after school about selling yourself. I am a hooker after all. :o) Rugby, people, rugby!
Anyway, it was the first time I've ever been invited to speak at a meeting or gathering of some sort as a guest speaker. It felt nice. I hope I helped. I realized that after teaching people how to win at these DECA competitions, I've suddenly put a whole lot of pressure on myself. After all, I was only invited because I won 1st place and others think that this means I'm going to win all the time. It'd be nice if this were true, but now I'm feeling kind of nervous even after telling everyone else not to. How ironic.

Helping other students with their work during a spare is so much more fulfilling than doing your own. I help out with a Grade 10 History class every now and then and I never thought it would be this much fun. The kids can be a little rowdy and rambunctious, but calming them down and getting them to do their work is more...fun than it is challenging. And yes, it is challenging.
My main job is to help two ESL students with their work, and after being with them a few times, I've remember what a difficult language English is. My parents have been living here for about 20 years and they still don't know how to speak it properly. Tteaching these two students or my parents is a very humbling experience. English is so hard...there are so many exceptions to every rule, and who ever thinks about conjugating their verbs anymore? Thus, we should all go back to speaking Latin.