Friday, January 10, 2003
I Paid Ten Cents For A Cruller Tonight

Tonight was the first real movie night I've had in a while. The last film I caught in theaters was 8 Mile, and well, it wasn't the greatest thing in the world.

But this, this is an entirely different story. Catch Me If You Can is definitely one to put on your To See List. Leo DiCaprio has finally made a return, and how! He still looks like a baby, except in the scenes where he still has the long, shaggy Gangs of New York cut. And who doesn't love Tom Hanks? The movie is based on (actually, the credits stated that it was "inspired by") Frank William Abagnale, a con artist who successfully managed to steal about $2 million with fraudulent cheques while pretending to be a pilot, then a doctor and finally, a lawyer. All before he was 18 years old. Wow, to think of all the things I could have accomplished by now...if only I were a con artist. The movie manages to balance a heartstring tugging divorce, with Frank's somewhat humourous situation, and it really is quite a fascinating story. Even after almost two and a half hours, the movie's plot line does not deflate, rather, the ending is one that makes you sigh with relief while chuckling a little. It filled me like a good meal. $7.50 very well spent.

I am currently discovering new music, listening to The Used, a CD Greg got for Christmas. They hail from Orem, Utah, broke the Mormon rules that surrounded them and now make rock music that is filled with soul. Their lyrics are good, and most of their songs I enjoy. Some of them involve some screaming, and while I don't mind that, I get picky about how they do it. Overall, it's worth giving a try.

Oh, and a little secret to share: let the last track keep playing, even after the song is over. After a few minutes of silence, you'll get to hear a nice drunken version of "Happy Birthday" and "Jolly Good Fellow", and then more screamy rock music. It scared me because I totally wasn't expecting it.

And now I embark on the last bit of sleep I will get in a long time to come. Tomorrow starts my rigorous *cough cough* exam study schedule. I'm sorry, did I say schedule? Whoops. I lied, I don't actually have one. But I plan to study nonetheless. Must...secure...future....