Tuesday, January 14, 2003
It's A Damn Cold Night

It was deathly cold today, and I almost lost my ears on the way to school despite the fact that I was wearing a hat.

I have decided to deem today "Confessional Tuesday". If I have anything to confess I will do it on a Tuesday or a day just like it (ie: any other day of the week). And so, my confession for today: I think I like Avril Lavigne's music.

And it makes me sick. I hate the girl, I swear! Sure, "Complicated" was a catchy song, but when it started to get over-played and when I realized she was supposed to go into country music, I started to dislike her.

Avril: I like country music!
Music Exec: You'll make more money if you like punk!
Avril: P-pu-unnnkkk?
Music Exec: Yeah! Just wear this tie all the time, then put eyeliner around here and pretend to be a real bad-ass!
Avril: I don't get to sing country anymore?
Music Exec: You'll make lots of money....
Avril: Mmm...okay!

*GAG*. I managed to hate her for so long, despite the fact that everyone around me loved her. But now, I'm starting to go over to the dark side. A few weeks ago I forced myself to listen to "Sk8er Boi" (what the hell is with her spelling?!) every time it came on and now I listen to "I'm With You" all the time in an effort to recognize her actual talent. I guess it's kind of working because I do recognize the fact that she can actually sing...kind of. And her songs are infectiously catchy. Damn her!

The only thing I don't like (or fear, even) is that she's making punk mainstream. It's not supposed to be something that you market, and sure there are lots of punk bands out there that are marketed, but they didn't start doing it to get popular. Punk is a lifestyle, not something you live off of. I will listen to her music if I have to, I know that she can sing, but until I find out that punk was a part of her life before she met those big wigs, I will not respect her as an artist. Remember, her dream was to be a country singer.

And by the by, I wore ties with tank tops in Grade 9.