Monday, January 20, 2003
Once Upon A Time

I'm currently on the phone with Garius Yimius, but neither of us are talking. We're actually both blogging. What a small world. I'm suddenly reminded of that scene in Armageddon, when Liv asks Ben if he thinks there's anyone else on earth doing the exact same thing they were. And they were having quite the good time too. I never thought you could do that with Animal Crackers.

***

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon, and I remember being strapped into the backseat of the family car. We were on our way to some place, where...I forget, but I do remember that red light we stopped at. There was a woman in a car next to us, blonde hair, glasses, bobbing her head to some music that I couldn't hear. And I looked at her. Stared. I stared so hard that I eventually became her. Suddenly, I was a blonde twenty-something year old, sitting in her car, turning her head slightly and seeing a small Chinese girl looking straight at her. I was in that car, and I felt the steering wheel and I heard the music.
The light turned green sooner than I had hoped and I watched as she drove away. Wherever she was going. Maybe to go shopping, meet a friend, pick up her kids, pick up her dry-cleaning, who knows. All I know is at that moment, I realized that other people lived. Not just existed, but lived. They had lives of their own and when I was at school, they were at work, and when I was at home, they probably were at home too...and at the exact moment that I'm doing something, they're doing something else.
It's so hard to explain the beauty that I felt at that moment, the beauty that washes over me every now and again.

Best epiphany ever.