Saturday, January 18, 2003
Saturdays With Mum

Every Friday night, I'm out late doing something fun. And every Saturday morning, I wake up earlier than most people and head out to the grocery stores with my mother. She's armed with various flyers, all the sale items circled, of course. We hit all the Chinese supermarkets and come home loaded with weird vegetables, raw meat and too much fruit.

My favourite part has got to be bagging groceries. I think in a previous life, I was a check-out girl and bagged groceries for a living. Well, by day only. By night I was most likely superhero. Anyway. Bagging the groceries, then coming home and putting them all away. Honestly, I love it! I can't wait until next year when I can do my own grocery shopping.

My mom and I had extended mother-daughter time today as we organized my closet as well. She got the urge to donate clothing to the Salvation Army last night and cleaned her closet already. It was easier than I thought, but my pack-rat tendencies made me keep a lot of strange items from the 80s. I hope that I keep enough funny things from my time to pass onto my daughter so she can laugh at me. Not that I laugh at my parents' old clothes...wait, yes I do. You should see some of these things! But at the same time, I wonder at the times they lived in and cherish the memories that come with the weird clothes.

At one point, I'm buried in my closet and I hear something strange coming from my mother. Something to the effect of: "...mmmpphhhh...mmmmmppphhhhhh...."
I turn around and see that she has her head stuck in a turtleneck sweater that is waaaaay too small. I crack up and ignore her request for help. (I'm still laughing as a matter of fact.) She manages to pull it off, but insists on keeping it because it still "fits".

Oh mother.