Saturday, February 22, 2003
Thank You Gary

Wednesday night I came home to some mail waiting for me. Amongst the small envelopes was a large white one with a logo in the corner that reminded me of a time almost three months ago. In November I had applied to the Ontario Junior Citizen of the Year Awards with high hopes and the help of my schoolmate Gary.

I picked the envelope up and noticed that it was thin. One, possibly two sheets of paper inside. The last time I got a thin envelope of any importance was from Wendy's regarding my scholarship application. One sheet was a letter saying "Thank you for your interest", and the other was a list of all the finalists (which did not include me). Thin is bad.

Nonetheless, I ripped open the envelope with reckless abandon and read the enclosed letter very slowly. (I read the Wendy's letter too quickly the first time and didn't understand what it was saying; I had to read it again only to find out that I didn't win anything.)

Dear Shirley,
I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as one of ten individuals and one group of Ontario Junior Citizens of the Year for 2002.
Congratulations! You and your family will soon receive an invitation to the presentation ceremonies in Toronto on April 4th, 2003. I look forward with great pleasure to meeting you there.


I am so estaticly honoured that I can barely express it.