Sunday, April 13, 2003
How Much More Can I Apologize For?

I have deemed today "Declaration Sunday" because today, I declare something. And that something is this: I never want to be famous. I take back anything I ever said about wanting to be famous, because I don't anymore! Being in the media isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sure, people may start thinking that you're cool, but when something you say makes someone angry and they make someone else angry and they make you angry (and sad), it isn't good.

At the end of the article, I said a little something about wanting to work for the Cancer Society or any other non-profit organization that funds medical research or feeds the homeless etc. I also said that my goal is to ensure a larger percentage of donations goes towards the actual cause and not to administrative purposes. It's true, that's what I think, and honestly...doesn't everyone think that?

Anyway, this lady from the CCS calls Mr. Caswell on Friday and was polite, but upset that I had said those things about the society. So he got upset. And then he pulled me out of calc to make me upset. Da dada dada, a few moments later, I'm crying because I feel so bad about what happened and Mr. Caswell isn't doing anything to make it better (in fact, I think he tried to make it worse).

Look, all I can say is I'm sorry and I didn't mean it like that...because I didn't. Really. And I don't know what else I can say to make this any better. I wasn't even talking about the CCS specifically, I was speaking about organizations in general...and...I...*sigh* I know it's April, Daffodil/Cancer Month, I didn't mean to make them sound bad or look bad and I didn't mean to tarnish the relationship LEAD has with the society, and I just didn't mean to do any harm! Someone asked me a question and I answered. How did it end up like this?

Anyway, I'm asking the Economist to print a little apology and some info about the CCS's distribution of funds, and I'm going to write a letter apologizing to the society.

The Canadian Cancer Society is a private non-profit organization, funded by donations from the public and money raised through our fundraising activities. The Canadian Cancer Society would not be able to offer these services or fund important research without the generous help of donors and volunteers. The Canadian Cancer Society makes the best use of every donated dollar, keeping administration costs low in order to fund research and provide community services to help people living with cancer and their families and friends. The Ontario three year average for fund distribution is as follows: Research 49%, Community services 33%, Fundraising 12% and Administration 6%.

Anyway, if you see me, don't bring this up unless you really want to see my eyes well up with tears. I learned my lesson the hard way and I'm sorry, alright?