Saturday, April 05, 2003
Junior Citizens Of The Year

There's a 10 year old in Peterborough who filled 30 backpacks full of school supplies and donated them to the Children's Aid Foundation, an 11 year old in Belleville who has packed over 600 shoeboxes in the last two years and sent them to war-torn countries and an 8 year old from Kemptville who raised money to "buy" his friend a new heart when he found out she had a hole in hers. He then initiated a petition of 2500 names to oppose the moving of the cardiac unit from his local hospital and last year, he created Care Kits full of books, toys and games for children in the emergency ward of the hospital.

What was I doing when I was 8 years old? Picking my nose or something probably. Nothing that named me Junior Citizen of the Year. Maybe Junior Nose-Picker of the Year....

I spent all of yesterday being inspired by the aforementioned and a bunch of other students who have overcome diseases and/or handicaps or are just good kids who do good things. The goodness that filled that room last night almost made me cry...I felt that there had been some big mistake, that I shouldn't have been there with them...what did I do to deserve this?

A few of us were chatting late into the night and it was funny to find out that all of us felt the exact same way: that what we've done didn't deserve an award. It was always, "Look at what they did! What did I do?" I'm still trying to accept the fact that all of this has happened to me. It's not working very well.

I'm happy, inspired, admiring and deeply respecting everyone I met yesterday.
Thanks for making me want to be a better person.