Friday, April 18, 2003
A Night At The Movies

I haven't been to a movie theater in ages, and tonight, I was reminded of the reason. I hate loud things. Rumbly trucks, yelling, movie trailers...except loud music, I like my music loud. Anyway, we went to see Bowling for Columbine, but before the movie came on, we had to sit through trailers, of course. Now, in the past, I loved trailers; I had to be really early lest I miss even a second of them. That was back when movies were a little tamer, funnier, still dramatic but not scary. Nowadays, all the new movies that are coming out look horrifying enough to make me pee myself right there in the already sticky theater. I HATE scary movies. Can't watch 'em. Or hear them. I'm the biggest 'fraidy cat in the world. Anyway, from now on, I will be purposely late to movies just so I can miss those goodness-awful previews.

Now, Bowling for Columbine: GOOD. If you described it as what it is - a documentary on guns (and fear, kinda) - it wouldn't sound enticing in the least, but it is worth the two-hour butt-numbing sit. The cinematography isn't great, but hey, it's a guy walking around with a camera on his shoulder. Some bad cuts here and there, the screen is black for just a second too long, but maybe it's what he intended. Although I thought it was fine, you should try to ignore the presentation of the film, and instead, focus on the content. He has some pretty good things to say, and the people he interviews do too...and some of them are so stupid it's funny. Here and there you laugh, here and there you may cry. I did.

His portrayal of Canada is hilarious; he went to Sarnia and Windsor to collect his info. Windsor? Sarnia? I wonder if his portrayal of the US is as inaccurate....

The movie made me realize a few things:
1. Something is wrong (namely with the USA).
2. Charlton Heston is a prick. Watch the movie, you'll agree with me. Well, maybe you'll call him a bastard instead.
3. Michael Moore is way cool.