Sunday, July 27, 2003
An 11 Year Old On Post-Secondary Education

My mother was hell-bent on having a BBQ today. She invited some of the family over; an uncle and the girlfriend, an aunt and two cousins, and another uncle. We were relaxing after a full, greasy meal when my 11 year-old cousin Michael asked my brother David about his plans in September. It was a short, but memorable conversation.

Mike: "Are you in college or university?"
David: "University."
Mike: "Oh, I thought you were in college. Which one- Oh, Ryerson right?"
David: "Yup."
Mike: "Yeah, the sucky one."

We played mahjong and I won a lot of money (aka: brightly coloured plastic chips). My grandmother taught me to gamble well. If the whole university thing doesn't quite work out, I can always hustle.

I.
Love.
Mah.
Jong.

Oh right. And my family.