Thursday, July 03, 2003
A Camping We Will Go

Tomorrow morn Nikhil, Anna and I head east to Charleston Lake for our Camping Adventure o' Fun! It will be a weekend filled with tenting, hiking, cooking, beaching, bug spraying, smores-making, canoeing, and of course, not showering. I cannot wait to go canoeing. I LOVE canoeing. Two years ago, I had the supreme pleasure of going up to Mike's cottage in Huntsville where I learned to perfect my J-stroke. Actually, it's not perfect or anywhere near perfection. But I learned. And I fell in love with it.

One thing I am nervous about is the beach. My ideal beach activity is sunbathing, but Anna insists on teaching me how to swim. You see, I don't really know how...to swim. Surprised? What's the title of this place again? Anyhoo, I had some tragic, life-scarring event happen to me in Grade 2. We were on a field trip to the local pool and I swam out too far (I needed to be within arms reach of the wall), so I grabbed onto the closest thing I could find; a girl in my class. I don't remember too much, except that I clung onto her for dear life and she kept trying to push me off because apparently, I was hurting her. Eventually, I managed to claw and pinch my way to the edge of the pool and pull myself out, by this time I believe we were both crying. The next day at school, the girl comes into the classroom accompanied by her father who proceeded to lecture me sternly on not hurting his daughter. Ever again. Or else. Y'know, the usual middle-aged man threatening a 7 year old girl scene.

A few years later, I took swimming lessons but I pulled some muscle in my neck near the end of my Orange lessons and did not proceed to Red because I wanted to let my neck heal. Oh, and I was afraid of the deep end. Still am. So I never made it past Orange and I haven't been in a pool in years. Except last year at Niki's party when I was pushed in. The funny thing was that most of the people there were lifeguards and none of them helped me out. Apparently, they all watched me get shoved in, and kept watching me attempt to save myself until someone said, "Huh. Uhm guys, why isn't she coming up?" Oh you lifegaurds.

Anyway, I'll be back Monday (if I survive swimming lessons), have a good weekend all.