Sunday, July 20, 2003
Parti Gras 2003

I took in some jazz last night downtown in the Distillery District, Toronto's new old art scene. It was Parti Gras 2003, a clever spin-off of N'Orleans' Mardi Gras celebrations, and prelude to the International Beaches Jazz Festival next week. There's still time today if you want to attend one of Toronto's street parties (on a cobblestone road no doubt) and enjoy yourself in a 'phat, fun and flipped out' kind of way. There was good food, good music and a jolly good time overall as the sun glared down on us making us all run for cover under the protective canopy of the ice cream truck. Here's what I consider to be the highlight of the evening:

Lalala, here we are watching a street show by The Fire Guy. Look, he's lighting some devil sticks on fire and doing neat tricks with them. Lalala there go the flying flaming sticks.....

Fire Guy: Unh! Ah! Ha!
(these are trick-performing noises that he made)

He messes up his trick at this point and says into his microphone:

Fire Guy: Whoa! Okay, I gotta impress you all now with a new trick because you think I suck!
Little Girl in Front Row: We already thought that!
Fire Guy: Heh heh....shut up kid.
Little Girl: YOU shut up!
Fire Guy: Alright kid just be quiet and let me do my show.
Little Girl: You suck!


The Fire Guy walks menacingly up to the little girl and her group of little kid friends who are all laughing at him.

Fire Guy: Alright, give me your shoe.
Little Girl: No!
Fire Guy: Just give me your shoe.
Little Girl: Why?
Fire Guy: Because I can tell your future with it!
Little Girl: No! Go away!
Fire Guy: Look kid, just give me your shoe!


The girl still refuses to give him her shoe and her friends all chime in with rounds of "You suck!", "Go away!" and "Leave her alone!". The Fire Guy then asks the audience if they think she should give him her shoe. Everyone applauds YES! The little girl, pressured by the crowd, takes off her sandal and hands it over to the Fire Guy.

Fire Guy: Alright everyone, with this shoe I can now tell this little girl's future.

He smiles, pauses, then throws it down an alleyway. I mean, he just WHIPS the thing down there.

Fire Guy: Hmmmm....I can see your future now....you're going for a walk.