Monday, July 07, 2003
Resisting The Urge To Scratch Everything

I.AM.SO.ITCHY. 31 mosquito bites. Possibly more because I stopped counting. Some so swollen up that when I put my arm down on a surface, only the bitten swollen part touches the table and not the rest of my arm. Neat I tell you, gross, but neat. And I can't even begin to tell you how much it sucks to have 3 on your ass. Oh Mother Nature, how beautiful you are, but do you think you could tell your bugs to leave us alone? Please?

The 3 hour drive there was worth it in the end, despite Anna's almost-car-sickness, the pools of sweat puddling here and there on our bodies from the extreme heat and Nikhil's refusal to take a rest stop because "we're hardcore".
"Weee!" -Anna, looking up from her book to prevent actual-car-sickness
The beach was nice, and once I showed Anna I could 'survival swim', she left me alone and didn't bother giving me lessons. Sweet. It's frisbee time! 77 cent Food Basics brand hot dogs for dinner that night, some Equality chips (boy, did we eat cheap) and then a 3am mosquito hunt.

Saturday found us in a canoe paddling towards that perfect lunch spot on the rocks. And we found it. Even though the rocks were so slippery with algae and various sea-slime material that we could barely stand on them. I learned that day that Kraft Dinner made with no milk and no butter can be good. The trip back to the campground was, quite simply, a bitch. We were going against the current, the waters were choppy, the wind was windy and there were times when we couldn't tell whether we were moving or not.
"We've been trying to go past that rock for the last 10 minutes!" -Nikhil, a keen observation
"You have no idea how much this hurts!" -Anna, after spending 6 days canoeing in Algonquin last week
"Weee!" -Me, in the front where the winds and waves made the ride better than something at Wonderland
But we managed to make it back alive, well, and not asleep even though the rhythmic stroke stroke of the paddles and splash splash of the waves almost put me to sleep. The night was interesting as we had to tolerate our Japanese neighbours blasting their teeny-pop, reggae, latino and country music. They played "Build Me Up Buttercup" throughout the night and I awoke to find myself humming it while cooking pancakes.

The drive home was taken in spurts as Nikhil and I stopped off at Gananoque and Kingston to enjoy Milano's Pizzeria, the St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario. All in all, the trip was great and I had fun, but it's nice to be home. My bed feels so good.