Thursday, August 14, 2003
I Am So Itchy. Again.

1 meteor and 7 mosquito bites. My Perseid Meteor Shower experience all summed up and tied into a neat little package. Wes, Catherine and I headed north to Stouffville to find that perfect, light-pollution-free spot away from civilization. We drove for an hour, watched the sky for half, saw one meteor, got bitten by many mosquitoes and then headed to Tim Horton's. My face is so itchy. That's right, the damned bugs got at my face this time! I thought I was being smart by wrapping up the rest of my body, but lo and behold, there's blood in your face so that's where the nastly little West Nile carriers will bite. Damn them! So my face is effectively swollen in two areas (left side of my jawbone and beside my right eye), which makes it look very lopsided. How attractive. I tried putting our African herbal teas at work to use. Not only did I embarrass myself when customers came in, seeing me look stupid in that maid's outfit AND holding a tea bag to my face, but the tea also gave me an orange-y tinge. Do I have to wear stupid Natrapel every-freakin-where I go? Cuz you know how sexy citronella smells. If only I could attract money like I attract mosquitoes. Maybe if we made mosquitoes a new form of currency....

Anyhoo, I skipped out on more meteor watching last night and opted for a safe, indoor, mosquito free evening of movie watching instead. Gangs of New York. Or should that be renamed to "American Film Making At Its Disgustingly Gross Bloodthirsty High"? Or how about "Don't Watch Me! I'll Make You Want To Gag!"? My aversion to violent, bloody, gorey movies is stronger than ever. Should I have assumed that there was going to be lots of butchering in this movie? Of animals and humans alike? Vegetarianism is looking my way. At one point, the point where he was slashing the pig, and then the other points where he slashed other people, my body couldn't decide whether it wanted to cry or throw up or do both. So it opted to close my eyes, bury my head into the sofa cushion, cover my ears and whimper pitifully into my friend's shoulder. And then, and THEN, at the end of the movie, when Vallon slices Cutting's abdomen and the blood starts spurting out of him? Remember the spurting? It...like, SPRAYED everywhere! Oh god. This movie made my insides cry. Actually, I think I cried during that scene. The spraying of the blood was really just too much for me. After watching the entire thing, I must say that the only good scenes must have been the sex ones. They were the only without violence! As my ESFJ profile says, I "don't understand unkindness".

Now to go chug some Benadryl. Mmmm, antihistamine-y goodness....