Monday, August 04, 2003
When I Come Around

Upon reading this, I realized: Annia and I were meant for each other, I swear. We've known each other since the Ninth Grade, both of us shy little asian girls at a loss for air in a vocal music class, and have had many romatic encounters since. We have even survived a near-death experience together (jay-walking across Lakeshore <-- not a good idea, trust me).

Our first amorous incident took place three summers ago, during the Civic Holiday long weekend, in Quebec. We had joined my cousin on one of those Chinese tour groups which took us from Toronto to Kingston to Montreal and back. We spend three whole days together, sharing stories, food, butt rot from sitting on the bus too long and yes, we even shared a bed. We took long walks along the lake, on old cobblstone roads in an old city and then found ourselves at a cosy table for two in an elegant French restaurant. Our table was right in front of a large window which overlooked the water, and as the setting sun shone in on us we gazed deeply into each other's eyes over platters of buttery, garlicy, aphrodisiacy escargot.

Our second romantic encounter happened not too long ago, during our Fringe weekend. It was raining cats and dogs as we trekked the Annex of downtown Toronto and Annia, being the chivalrous gentlewoman she is, held her umbrella up for me the entire time. And when I decided to be earth-friendly and saved my paper cup from lunch, she graciously carried it around for me in her bag the entire day. That evening, we went out for dinner at a little Indian restaurant. With its cushy chairs and dim lighting, we gazed into each other's eyes once again and could hardly refrain from spoon-feeding each other our rice pudding dessert.

And just this past Friday night, we headed down to the T-dot again for more lovey-dovey adventures. This time we went for a stroll along the harbourfront, sat at a picnic bench by the lake and wandered into a dark, unassumed building of some sort. The perfect place for two young asian girls to be. We found a ritzy art store inside, as well as galleries of pottery and glass. And then we walked into an International Festival that was better than anything we could've imagined! We bargained for market goods, shared plates of couscous, African fried dough balls, vegetarian roti and sipped coconut milk out of one coconut with our faces this close together. Every time I go out with her, I spend lots of money and eat too much.

Too much time with Annia = one fat, broke Shirley
But it's okay because we have so much fun together. So basically what I'm saying is that if I ever need to swing the other way, Annia would be an awesome partner to do so with. I wore my Day of Silence t-shirt the other day. It made me feel good.

I may be straight, but I'm not narrow.