Monday, September 08, 2003
Thanks For The Phone Hug Mikey

So far, I like living on my own. I almost love it. It was unfortunate that Frosh Week made me feel like I was back in high school, but despite that, nearly losing my voice, being malnutritioned and sleep deprived, I had fun. The girls on my floor are nice, my frosh group was nice, my breakers, my don, everyone is nice. Except that girl who snubbed me this morning. But funnily enough, the niceness wasn't really what I was looking for. Don't get me wrong, I love nice people, but nothing felt....comfortable. It was like everyone was just being nice because they had to, not because they were, and if they weren't then they wouldn't make any friends. Nothing felt real. Perhaps it's asking a bit much to find a genuine friendship during the first week of school...I certainly wouldn't recommend it because it didn't make me feel too hot.

Thursday night felt yucky. I longed to see a familiar face, a really good friend who knew me and didn't even need to say anything to let me know that they cared. I needed a really good hug. Alright, enough with the sappy cynicism. It was just that one night. I'm making friends (many of them potentials for being comfy-long-term ones), and I'm having a good time, I really am. My room is lovely and spacious. I see my boy lots. I'm excited for classes tomorrow. Things are swell.

My parents visited today. Oh how they spoil me. They brought with them:
- a 4.4 cubic foot fridge
- a several litre Brita filter
- Dare oatmeal cookies
- Ritz (with 50% less salt)
- soda crackers
- Mixed Berry cereal bars
- Kellogg's Rice Krispies
- assorted mini cereal boxes
- a loaf of whole wheat Texas Toast
- Apple Cinnamon Pop Tarts
- a jar of grape jelly
- a jar of Skippy peanut butter
- a can of Carnation hot chocolate mix
- 48 bottles of Aberfoyle water
- McCain fruit punch tetra paks
- 2 litres of skim milk
- a package of 24 slices of skim cheese
- 5 oranges
- a tub of margarine
- 4 cups of assorted fruit yogurts
- 11 royal gala apples
- 8 black plums
- 3 bananas
- 1 Chinese Lantern Festival moon cake
- a whole homemade by grandma cake
- 3 styrofoam containers filled with: fried rice, egg noodles, dumplings and Vietnamese sausage

Do I look like I can consume that amount of food before it goes bad? OY. At this rate, I will never tell my family that I miss home food again, or else I'll never need my meal plan.