Friday, September 05, 2003
Tidbits From An Ocean Go-er

When people asked why we were in Halifax we answered, "For fun", a response which was immediately followed by a strange look because apparently people don't go to Hailfax for fun. But here's the story I've grown rather fond of telling, the true story behind WHY we really went to Nova Scotia (in point form).

-The boy and I are chatting on the phone about a book, She's Come Undone, which I recently let him borrow.
-We discuss the significance about how Dolores never lives far away from the ocean.
-I mention that I've never seen the ocean before.
-To which Jason replied, "Really??"
-A few weeks later we're on a plane to the Maritimes.
-Insert "Aww..." here.
-I thank him for taking me to Halifax (to see the ocean). Seventeen million times.
-We then pay lots of money to go on a whale watch.
-The boat goes round and round the Atlantic (which I'm very happy to see), but alas, we see no whales.
-I announce my disappointment because the last time I went on a whale watch, my family saw lots of them. One even came close enough to the boat for me to see the rough, bumpy skin on its back and smell the gross spray they shoot through that blowhole of theirs.
-The following discussion follows:
Him: "So, you've been on a whale watch before?"
Me: "Yeah, when my family went on some trip to Quebec. You know how they have lots of those boat tour thingies."
Him: "You went whale watching in Quebec?"
Me: "Yeah. In a boat. On the water. Whales."
Him: *squinty, questioning, confused eyes*
Me: *thinking about the logic in what I just said*
-Finally I say, "Oh! I'm so stupid! I didn't go whale watching in Quebec! There's no whales in the St. Lawrence. Ha ha."
-I think that I've saved myself from something potentially quite embarrassing.
-I then say, "So it wasn't Quebec, it was in Boston, when we went to visit my uncle. You know, whale watching in Boston."
-To which he replies, "So you've seen the ocean before?"

Uh oh. The boy takes me to Halifax, thinking that I've never seen the ocean before, and lo and behold, I have. Whoops. Hopefully, I'll remember this trip to the Atlantic more so than the last one.

I have no photos here unfortunately, but you can visit him and check some of them out.