Monday, October 27, 2003
Off To Study Live At The Library

I was sitting somewhere today reading again when suddenly, I remembered something with surprising clarity.

Memory: Sitting on a windowsill by a teller machine in a bank. In Halifax. Waiting for Jason waiting for the machine to spit out money. Two woman, one eating candy out of a plastic baggie. The one with the candy smiles at me and I smile back. I'm surprised again at how nice strangers can be. She says hello and I respond with something equally pleasant and polite. We chat...and then she offers me some candy out of her bag. I decline, saying that I'm alright and that it's hers anyway. She tells me that I'm missing out on the best strawberry gummy she's ever had. I smile. She offers again. This time, before I can say no, she walks over and gives me her last piece. I take it, slightly reluctantly because I've never, ever taken candy from a stranger before. I never really thought I would be faced with such a situation. I mean, really, who in Toronto would suddenly just give you candy? And expect nothing in return? This woman even gave me directions to the candy store where she bought the delectable little gelatin treats. Anyway, it really was a damn good piece of strawberry gummy. Best stranger ever.