Thursday, November 20, 2003
How's It Gonna Be?

Way back in September when I first started school, I discovered, much to my surprise, that I hated business and wanted to drop out of it right away. It came as a shock because, although I've heard that most peole end up switiching their major, I've never heard of anyone doing it the first month of school. My prof (Jim, who refers to himself in third person) exuded this unbelievable capitalistic bastard aura and I was surrounded by people who did 'good' things just so they could put it on their resume. Everything was so...selfish, and profit seeking and I was surrounded by 2000 mini-corporate sharks, each of whom thought that they were the best corporate shark, in a sparkly new building. But a few weeks later, I was finally able to stay awake in biz class, found Jimmy somewhat entertaining and discovered that not all biz-kids are bad, so I decided to stick it out until at least the end of first year.

Two days ago the thought of switching out of business and into a general Arts degree came back into my head. Business isn't that bad really, although the stock market is driving me crazy and my biz midterm was the worst midterm out of them all, but I can't shake the feeling that if I didn't leave, I'd be condemning myself to four more months of thinking, "What if...?". I'm trying really hard not to do the practical thing. Doing the practical thing was what landed me in a BBA program in the first place. But if I don't do the practical thing, what will I do? Major in Classics? Global Studies? Political Science? Arts? I don't even want to think about how my family will react.

Of course, all my biz friends are saying that I'm an excellent business student and that I should stay in the program, my old friends are telling me to do what I feel is right. I know that I should be listening to myself here, but it's hard when even I don't know the answer. Going into arts would be a huge leap of faith, an even bigger one than moving away to Waterloo on my own. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to jump yet.