Wednesday, December 24, 2003
All I Want For Christmas

After a very long 8 hour shift today at the tea shop, I sat down in my kitchen, flipped through my local community newspaper and noticed the annual Letters to Santa Claus section. I did this last year and I figure I might try to make it an annual thing here as well. Here's a small sampling of what kids in Markham have to say to good old Saint Nick (with original grammar).

Dear Santa:
Hi Santa I would like a Video Now. I would like a Video Now so I can watch it when my sister is dancing. How do your elves get the stuff to make the toys? Do your elves sleep? Why is your name Santa Claus? How is Mrs. Claus? Does Mrs. Claus make cookies for the elves? How smart are you? Do you like cookies?
P.S. My sister Amy says "hi".
Your friend,
Christopher


Dear Santa:
I would like to have this year for Christmas a few things that are on list. I want a Hilary Duff Dolls. I would like to have Lizzie McGuire movie. I would like to have the Santa Claus 2 movie too. I sure love that movie...ha...ha!!!
Merry Christmas Santa
Love,
Maddison


Hey Santa I want make ups and school things. I want dolls.
Rachel


Dearest Santa:
I love Christmas eve. I really like it when you give presents out to people.
Do you know why I love Christmas? I love Christmas because I think you are real, but other kids do not think that you are real.
i want a special gift for Christmas. Do you know what I want for Christmas? i would like a glitter and that's it.
Lots of love from
Dimpal



Dear Santa,

I believe in you now more so than I did when I was 7 years old. I apologize for my young skepticism. I didn't believe in the Tooth Fairy or Easter Bunny either, but that doesn't make anything better. With my newfound faith, I would like to make a request for something this Christmas.

For Christmas this year I would like a mind-makeover. I want to stop worrying about trivial things like how I look in dresses or shirts or pants or any article of clothing. I want to trust the relatonships that I'm in, have faith in their longevity and not question the other's loyalty or my own. I want the strength to accept the things I cannot change and change the things I cannot accept. I want to feel comfortable with my place at home, at school, in the grand scheme of things. I want to have the courage to face the world, understand it and not feel powerless. I want to do and believe the things I say. I want to have faith in myself and not doubt my abilities. I want to accept the dare to dream and realize my full potential. I want to have the enthusiasm and inspiration to chase after things that are seemingly out of my reach, but also the patience to wait on life. I would like to go back to school smiling, with my cynicism abolished, my optimism revamped and my ideals intact. I want to remember that I am still young and that at 19, anything is possible.

Thank you.
~Shirley