Sunday, February 01, 2004
Some Saturdays

I volunteer with Laurier Students For Literacy here on campus and we do Reading Circles every Saturday with the local kids. They come in, sit with us for an hour or so, read some books, do a craft and generally have a good time. But there are some Saturdays when I cannot for the life of me drag myself out of bed, especially if I've had a long Friday night. This Saturday was one of those "I've only had x<8 hours of sleep...I'm SO tired" mornings, but I went to Reading Circle anyway. And it was worth it.

Jill is 6 years old, likes purple and pink, dreams of Princess Land and loves Arthur. We read about the time when he got chicken pox and then gave it to his sister. We giggled and growled and changed our names and tried to guess how tall horses were. We looked at the pictures in Beauty and The Beast because it was too long to read. And then we started to read Rapunzel, because we weren't allowed to start coluring yet, but...

Me: "When she was twelve years old the Witch shut her up in a tower, in the middle of a great wood, and the tower had neither stairs nor doors, only high up at the very top a small window." Okay, your turn.

Jill: "Whennn the old wwwitch want-ed to get in...she stood un-der-neeeathhh and called out: 'Rapunzel! Rapunzel! Let down your gol-den hair' for Rapunzel had won...won-der...

Me: She had what?

Jill:...where am I?

Me: You're here..."she had wonderful hair"....

Jill: Can we just look at the pictures instead?

I wanted to keep her.