Saturday, February 21, 2004
A Taste of Motherhood at 19

Jason and I had planned to visit the Royal Ontario Museum last night, have a nice Indian dinner and then go skating at City Hall. We still did all those things, but add 3 kids to the mix: aged 10 (Katie), 6 (Justin) and 4 (Jordan), and subsitute the Indian for McDonald's. After more than 6 hours with them, I can say that I came out of the evening alive and still wanting children, which is probably more than I can say for Jason (he was tired even before we left).

There are some things that nearly drove me crazy, but in the end, kids still amaze me. For example: we faced rush hour on the way downtown, so the kids were bored in the car. They managed to entertain themselves for at least 10 minutes simply by singing the phrase "Dragonball Z" over and over. When that got boring, they sang "007 (double-oh seven)". And then came the famous "Are we there yet?", preceeded by lots of yelling and screaming. Thank goodness someone suggested they play the Quiet Game later.

Is being a mom really about putting up with noise in the car, carrying coats and scarves and hats in the museum because you're afraid the kids will lose them, and agreeing to eating at McDonald's because one of them really wanted a Happy Meal? If it is, then not only am I all prepared, but I also can't wait. Believe it or not, I liked saying that I wanted to order 4 Happy Meals (one for myself) to the guy at the counter; I liked telling the kids to stop playing with their Lion King 1 1/2 toys and eat their nuggets; I liked holding their little hands as we crossed the street and zipping up their jackets and putting on their scarves; I liked going skating in the rain at 10pm just because they claimed they weren't tired (and boy, they really weren't).

Well, like it or not, I'm not about to have kids anytime soon so I still have time to act like one. While at the interactive kids' area in the museum, Justin and Jordan made me get on all fours and crawl through a tunnel to see a fox. I did, saw the fox and told the boys that I had to get out. "This tunnel is for little kids, and I am definitely not little anymore."

And as Justin so eloquently reminded me last night, "But you're not old, you're only 19."