Tuesday, March 02, 2004
The Arts

FR!NGE Festival was great. I'm still recovering from the exhaustion of a full week of non-stop rehearsals and performances, but it all went well. The best part is hearing from strangers that they liked what I did. Fringe Fest also hosted their own Oscars on Sunday night (which I think is a really cute idea), and people liked what I did so much that I was nominated for Best Monologue and awarded Best Actress! I never thought I'd get an award for my acting, never mind an Oscar! It's the best statuette I've ever seen: a lightbulb painted neon orange hot glued to the top of a fence post. I'll cherish it forever.

The Vagina Monologues are coming! So the rehearsals aren't ending yet (these ones start at 10pm and go until at least 12am), and I still have two more performances to go (each at least 2 hours long), but they will be great!

***
The annual student and staff exhibition at the art gallery is coming up soon and I've been thinking about submitting a piece or two. I haven't painted or drawn in about 2 years so I am a bit nervous about 'creating art' again. Too bad I left my old sketchbook at home.

There was a frame and mat sale at the gallery last week and for only $18.50 I got two great, simple black frames that I can do whatever with and a whole bunch of mat board and frames. The best part about them is that they're dirt cheap and can be painted on. Who needs canvas? I didn't leave myself enough time to go back to residence and drop them off, so I ended up carrying them to my business lecture. I saw people look and could see the wheels turning in their selfish, greedy heads. "What are those things? And WHY is she carrying them? She must not be a business student. *gasp* She's going into the lecture hall! Stop her! We have an imposter!"

An Arts mind trapped in the body of a business student.

It seems to me that there's so much more room for growth in the Arts. While the Business Program focuses on the future and how you can get there, the entire Arts faculty focuses on the now and how you can be a better person now. Though not looking into the future may be a shortcoming to some, I see it as room to grow and figure yourself out before you head out there into the real world. Business is all about getting through now as fast as you can so you can grow up and get a good job as a CEO. And what if I like now? What if I want to stay here in the now for a while and learn something? I want to fiddle around the university, learn about the world and grow up just a bit more before I have to go out there. Am I hiding from the world? I'd like to think not. I've just come to realize that I'm still young and there's still time, is all.