Thursday, March 04, 2004
I Really Should Be Studying Economics...

...but I just had to tell you.

It's been a few days since Fringe Festival and I'm still getting compliments on my monologue, which is very nice, and quite surprising. My parents have never really supported my interest in acting and theater, so all my plays have been, and still are, done in secret. Though I did quite a bit of acting in high school, at least one play a year (and I had the lead role in two of them), I never really thought I was that good of an actress. I was indeed my own worst critic. I just thought I had a lot more learning to do. Today, our student newspaper published reviews of all the plays in Fringe and much to my surprise, I came across this:

To Live at Laurier
directed by Shane Fallofield

The five-act monologues surrounding representations of life at Laurier had both their good and bad moments.

Shirley Manh stood out by far with a fantastically hilarious role in Christopher Durang's "Laughing Wild". Manh played a woman complaining about waiting behind someone to grab tuna fish at the grocery store. She showed so much emotion and liveliness that I could have watched her perform all night.


I couldn't believe it. My name was in the paper, and they liked what they saw! Even now, after I've read, re-read, highlighted, cut out and tacked the article up on my bulletin board, I still get nervous thinking about my performance. Combined with my award for Best Actress and various random nice comments, this has been the most positive attention I have ever received for my acting. And it feels really good.