Wednesday, March 10, 2004
You Want Me To Talk About My 'Down There'?

My bout of acting here at WLU has ended for the year. Last night was the closing show for The Vagina Monologues and I miss the stage already, though I doubt I can memorize anymore lines; I have to save some space for exams and other such things. The word 'vagina' used to be so taboo, and it probably still is, but not to me. Since being involved in the monologues, I have become so comfortable with the word that I say it all the time. Vagina this, vagina that, vagina the other thing. Vagina vagina vagina! Every time I bring up the show and how much I loved it, because it was a group of women who sat around and talked about their vaginas for hours, people look at me like I'm crazy. Their eyes bulge a bit and their face goes forward in that what-did-you-just-say? way. Oh, what's the big deal anyway? It's just a word.

Speaking of words, one of my monologues was called Reclaiming Cunt. Imagine me throwing that word around all the time. I was asked by some of the girls who saw the performance to do that monologue again for some guys who missed the show. So there I was, on the guys' floor in the hall making orgasmic sounds and chanting the word CUNT! over and over. The looks on the faces of the guys who poked their heads out of their rooms was precious.

I have the monologue in video form, so hopefully I can post it here (soon-ish) for those who are interested in seeing this side of me. Click here to learn more about the Vagina Monologues and V-Day.

Happy International Women's Week!

"Pussies unite!"
(one of my favourite lines from the show)