Tuesday, April 27, 2004
Being Small Isn't So Bad If You Can Do Big Things

Finishing school and leaving residence has put me into a terrible state of laziness. Since I've been home, I've been eating, relaxing and sleeping a bit too much. And by 'a bit' I mean 'a whole lot'. However, I have managed to gather my strength and draft a birthday wishlist for myself. It's not bad, one of my better wishlists, consisting of things more than just clothing. Art supplies, music lessons and some techy things like webcams and scanners.

I'm turning 20 in a few days and I only get nervous about it when I look at the number...geez, it starts with a 2. It means that I've been alive for 2 whole decades, and that it's about time that I start acting like an adult. When I turned 18, my friends wrote in one of my cards "Congratulations, you're now an adult. A very appropriate time to start acting like one." It's been 2 years and I still haven't mastered the art of being an adult. Part of me wishes that I never will.

Turning 20 makes me feel old and insecure. Like I should be doing more than I am, that I should have accomplished more than I have. Child prodigies pop up everywhere, leaving stories about 13 year olds finding cures for deadly diseases, 11 year olds becoming multi-millionaire entrepreneurs and sensational 9 year old opera singers in my head. My life thus far has been quite tame. I managed to get through 14 years of schooling and once got to announce the next stop on the subway PA system....

I think I'm going to add something to my wishlist. For my 20th birthday I'd like to stop selling myself short.