Saturday, June 05, 2004
Something Wicked This Way Comes

They were right. In a word, the movie was WICKED.

8:20pm last night

Cape/cloak? Check.
Chopstick wand? Check.
Tickets? Check.
Book to read in line? Check?
Line? Double check.

Honestly, an hour and a half before the movie is scheduled to start, Jason and I found ourselves in a large crowd lining up to start lining up for the movie. Yes, there were that many people there, yes, they were all there an hour and a half early like ourselves, and yes, they told us we couldn't start lining up until 8:45pm, so we started a line...for the line. But the throngs of whiny Harry Potter fans crowding around the booth made the ticket-taker let us all in 10 minutes early. This way, we could at least continue to wait in an organized fashion and within boundaries instead of surrounding his work station.

The movie? FANTASTIC!!! I wish I could be watching it right now. The new director is fabulous and this is the most visually appealing movie I've seen in a while. There was constant motion and it was just so darn pretty to watch. The way they handled the Knight Bus was wonderful, same goes for the Dementors and the time travelling. Simply wonderful. I got goose bumps, people. Goose bumps. I even found myself giggling at times because I was enjoying myself that. damn. much.

The surroundings of Hogwarts look more beautiful than I remember and the fact that they don't wear their robes as much didn't bother me like I thought it would. I love the fact that the kids are in street clothes; kind of reminds us that they're people... a bunch of uber cool tweens. Harry is getting handsomer by the year, Hermione is as pretty as I (and the rest of the world) predicted, and Ron is as adorable and funny as ever.

I could tell that the director is fond of nature, particularly of using flowers to show the seasons changing. There was also a bit more sentimentality than I expected, but it adds a nice emotional break from all the Ooh! and the Ahh... and especially all the Whoa! And there was quite a bit of Whoa. Except the one stupid thing: When Harry momentarily poses like Jack from Titanic.

All in all, the movie was amazing and I loved it to bits. Highly recommended for anyone, even if you're not a fan because it's awesome standing alone.