Wednesday, July 21, 2004
On Google and Tea

Prediction for the future: Google is going to freaking take over the (e-)world. Not only is it the search engine of all search engines, but now they have fancy schmancy GMail (of which I am a proud but nonetheless nonchalant user), it also got it's groove on with Blogger (which I am more or less happy about since the new Blogger has more features and is capable of making this place all around prettier), and now they've recently acquired Picasa (in addition to already having Hello).

Not that I'm complaining. With the help of Google's impending monopoly over the electronic world, I am one step closer to being that web-savvy chick I dreamed of oh not so long ago. I mean, I get to be a photo-blogger phlogger without buying anything or completing complicated tasks online. Because I'm definitely not capable of such techy things.

Rather, give me something service-y and retail-y to do and I'll do it like nobody's business. And earn tips while I'm at it.

So I'm back in the working world, this time not as the office person/paperwork girl/boring admissions slave or even the tea-seller I once was. This time, I'm a tea server. And all around server while you're at it. I finally get to fufill my high school dream of becoming a waitress with varicose viens. Wait. The viens ideally wouldn't be part of said dream, but I hear they're inevitable, hence, inclusion in The Dream. I'm working for the same ol' lovable family who loves tea and people, wearing the same good ol' uniform, touting tea as the drink of choice and the expensive imported British food as totally worth it.

When Jason and I went to celebrate our anniversary at that fancy restaurant, we were very impressed by the waiter and how well he fit the stereotypical role of fancy restaurant server. And suddenly, I've become one of those fancy restaurant servers!  I'm that girl who cannot say the words "guys" to customers, who replies "Of course" to almost every request, and who, most importantly, manages to memorize the specials of the day and recite them in mouth watering ways so that people order these expensive meals and end up tipping me more, not because I provided wonderful service (which I'm sure I did), but because tip is generally expected to be 15% of their subtotal, and their subtotals are always huge! This makes me and my rapidly fattening wallet happy.

At this rate, I think I can actually afford to buy meat when I start living on my own again.