Saturday, August 14, 2004
Airport Series I: Toronto


Nighttime at Pearson International Airport, Toronto.

This photo officially begins my Airport Series, a collection I've been wanting to share for some time. I really love airports for some reason(s) that I can't put my finger on. I guess it's a sure-fire way to know that you're definitely going somewhere, anywhere, out of your normal boundaries. And to me, that's a pretty dang good thing. They're such exciting places; full of people from all over the world and even though you may never see them again, a sense of companionship grows because you're all in the same place at the same time just for a little bit. Plus, there's the ever cool duty free shops and free internet for travellers. I love being a traveller (for more reasons than just the free internet).

Since I was working yesterday, I missed the Opening Ceremonies for the Olympics, but I caught the tail end of the re-run at night. From what I saw, it looked absolutely magnificent! Being the Classicist that I am, my heart ached knowing that I missed an ancient Greek-themed spectacle. Man, what I would give to be in the stadium one day during the ceremonies.

Only one thing rubbed me the wrong way. The announcers on CBC kept saying that the flame was going to be lit in a cauldron, but to me, that thing looked like a giant cigarette. Actually, because of the tapered end, it wasn't so much a cigarette as it was a...doobie. Right? Or is 'cauldron' another slang term that I, the uber-Geek, am not familiar with?