Wednesday, August 11, 2004
My Classics Teacher Would Be So Proud


My little nerd duckie.

I've had this thing lately that makes me think I know Jason better than he knows me. We've even been quizzing each other. Well, I've been quizzing him more than he's quizzing me, but that's beside the point. I've asked him some difficult questions, and every now and then I feed him an easy one. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I asked him this:

"Do you know what my favourite derivatives are?"

(FYI, I've got 2, one Latin and one Greek. 'January', coming from the Latin word ianua, meaning "door", because January opens the new year; and 'utopia', coming from 2 Greek words, topos, meaning "place", and ou, meaning "no", because utopia really is nowhere at all.)

He didn't know what they were.

Disappointed, I exclaimed:

"You don't know what my favourite derivatives are?!"

And then I realized something: I have favourite derivatives.

Favourite.

D E R I V A T I V E S.

Why can't I just have favourite colours or something? Why do I have to be such a Geek? I was so embarrased I buried my head in my hands and couldn't even look at my computer.

Well, that's enough nerdiness for one week. I have 3 parties lined up for the next week and a half and have to get C-O-O-L for them. No more derivatives. Not even my favourite ones.