Monday, August 09, 2004
Public Transit Woes

A typical 'bus' in Thailand and Vietnam.

I am officially at odds with the public transit system that I have loved and depended on for the last 5 years, even though I still kind of depend on it now. Not once in all my 5 years of high school did I complain about taking the bus to and from school, nearly twice a day everyday. I saw bus drivers as the unsung heroes of the modern world who allowed me to get just enough exercise by running after large moving vehicles.

And though bus drivers are still generally neat people, I really do not appreciate them getting me to work late every time. Actually, let me correct myself. I am not mad at the bus drivers. I'm mad at the people who work at the call center who, when I ask for route schedules and times, always give me the wrong times.

Get this:
They tell me the bus comes at 11:13. It comes at 11:25. Okay, fine, that's only 10 minutes or so. No biggie.

They tell me the bus comes at 12:42. It comes at 12:55. Hrm. I'm getting more disgruntled with the amount of time I'm wasting just sitting at the bus stop.

They tell me the bus comes at 11:40. It comes at 11:55. Alright people, Not Cool. I start work at 12:00 and I am clearly late.

I just don't get it. Why are you telling me to wait at the stop when there is clearly no bus arriving at the times you said? The problem is, I have no real way to solve this little conundrum either. I suppose I'll just have to start bringing a book to read and try my luck out there.

Oh, and did I mention that the subway broke down over the weekend? While I was in it? And that it took nearly 3 hours to get home from Toronto, which is only a 25 minute drive away? And let's not even mention how much I had to pay for Greyhound tickets to and from my exam on campus.