Wednesday, December 08, 2004
E-Mail Trouble-Shooting The Guy Who Doesn't Help

As much as I love the internet, all the Google possibilities out there and the World of Blog, sometimes, technology just gets on my nerves.

I've never depended really strongly on anything before, until I started using Outlook Express for my e-mail. It took some getting used to, but after I while I loved everything about it and couldn't imagine going back to Yahoo. But alas, those Outlook Express days are over and I've got to go back to using lovely web-based stuff. I can't complain much, Yahoo has way more space so I'm not forced to delete old e-mails (which I despise doing) and I can upkeep my organizational folder system. But when it comes to my school account, it's a whole other story.

In the IT Office on campus.

Me: Hi. Uhm, I have this problem with my e-mail account...my entire Inbox is filled with 2 messages that keep alternating and repeating...and all my other mail has just disappeared.
IT Guy: Oh. Okay. Let me just log you in...
*click*
Okay, it's fixed.
Me: *wide-eyed* Is that it?
IT Guy: Yeah.
Me: Oh. Okay. Can you check something for me? I changed some settings this morning and just want to make sure they worked.
IT Guy: No, you have to log in yourself.
Me: Okay, sure.
IT Guy: But you can't do that now. The system is down.
Me: When will it be back up?
IT Guy: I don't know.
Me: So in order for me to check anything, I have to log in myself, but I can't do that now because the system is down.
IT Guy: Yes.
Me: And you don't know when it'll be back up.
IT Guy: Right.
Me: What do I do about school e-mail until then?
IT Guy: *shrug*
Me: So how did you just fix that problem with my Inbox if the system is down?
IT Guy: ...

SIGH