Monday, January 03, 2005
Creatively Constipated


Waterfall in Da Lat, Vietnam.

I'm not going to lie. I didn't come up with that title myself. Thanks goes out to my good friend Annia for being wittier and cleverer than me and for letting me steal her witty and clever sayings.

This post has a point, I swear.

Here's the thing: I've never really believed in making New Year's Resolutions. I'm sure I made them as a child and/or teenager, but a handful of years back, I just stopped. I looked around me and saw people who made resolutions and never followed through with them (and I thought, "How disappointing to end the year by remembering the things you never did!"), I looked around and saw way too many ads for fitness centers and gyms and other weight loss programs. I figured New Year's Resolutions were mostly about weight loss and although it interested me in that roll-your-eyes-and/or-raise-your-eyebrow way, I wasn't really all that interested. So I stopped making resolutions.

I'm looking for the point - it's around here somewhere....

But this year is different. Mainly because I really hope that 2005 is going to be good and I'm going to make it so by actively doing and changing things. And yes, one of the things I've resolved to do is to go to the gym more (the irony is just dripping). I mean, a membership is already included in my tuition so I might as well use it - not to mention the fact that I got 3 new pairs of uber-comfy sweatpants this holiday season and I'm not going to let them sit and gather dust while I sit and gather pounds.

So there's that, and then there's the more important issue of nurturing friendships. I have to admit that I haven't been very good at this for the last...year or so. I'm surprised that people still bother to talk to me. But it was really nice to see that they did bother to talk to me, and that they were there for me when I was going through a really rough time, despite the fact that I wasn't necessarily there for them when they needed someone. But that's going to change. I'm here! I'm your friend! Use me!

And last but certainly not least, I'm trying to embrace the right side of my brain. I want to channel that creativity that lies dormant within me, because dammit, I know it's there! I know I am capable of something, I just don't know what that something is yet. I'm not sure if I should try to use my guitar, sing, dance, paint, or write. So, time and money permitting, I'm going to try my hand at all of them at some point during the year. Something's going to click, I know it. And if it doesn't, then at least I'll have lots of stories to tell.

Speaking of resolutions, perhaps I should try to curb my affection for procrastination. I have an assignment due at 4:30 tomorrow that I haven't started yet....