Thursday, January 20, 2005
Ego Massage


A lonely seagull on Nova Scotian waters.

Things are feeling heavier nowadays and being bogged down does no good for the soul. Little bits this week have done a good job at making me feel good about myself and I thank those responsible for bringing a smile to my heart.

Good Bit #1: An e-mail that I received from one of my professors a few days ago.

Dear Shirley,

I wanted to write to you outside of class time to let you know that even though I often challenge the limitations or develop further from the interesting points you raise in class that I think you are an outstanding student, that I enjoy your comments in class and value your contributions. Please keep it up. I enjoy the challenge.

Sincere regards,
M.H.


Good Bit #2: After rehearsal for my play on Monday night, I asked my director how I was doing because he never gave me any pointers or criticisms during practice, and this made me nervous. He replied by saying that he didn't like to give praise in public, thought I was doing very well and then proceeded to call me the beacon of his day. The metaphor was a bit incomplete so I'm assuming he meant that I was a beacon of light at the end of his long, dark day. Something like that.

Good Bit #3: Another rehearsal related goodie; my director confessed that he had to lie during the first director's meeting to ensure that he got to have me in his cast and not let anyone else take me away. Apparently he told another director who wanted me that I was already committed to something else when really, I hadn't even auditioned for anything. Though it's devious, it is cute and it made me feel warm and fuzzy.

I've always had insecurities that bug me sometimes and I often doubt myself. Though I try to work on these issues myself it's the little things that people take the time to do and say that really make the difference.