Sunday, January 23, 2005
Higher Education - Ahh! It's Too High!!


Hall's Harbour, Nova Scotia, August 2003.

At the beginning of the semester I was faced with a difficult situation. I needed to add one more course to ensure my status as a full-time student and was stuck choosing between a 2nd year English class or a 3rd year Communications/Sociology class. The problem was that both of them terrified me. I don't read poetry, classic literature or consider myself a Writer. Wuthering Heights bored the hell out of me and I don't know anything about Keats. The thing with the 3rd year course was just that. It's a 3rd year course and I'm only in 2nd. I was worried about not having enough background knowledge, not being a good essayist, not knowing what the heck I was talking about and generally not being smart enough for it.

People told me that no matter what I chose, all I had to do was walk into class thinking that I was the sh*t and I would be fine.

In the end, I chose the 3rd year Communications/Sociology course on Mass Media. So here I am, sitting on my bed trying to read through these journal articles written by intelligent men in the 60s and 70s. With a dictionary beside me. I'm looking up words like gerrymandered and trying to research names of guys who are probably dead by now but were important enough to be referenced in the article. My eyes are getting blurry from re-reading the same sentences to make sure I understand what it is that they're trying to confuse me about.

Sigh. Can't wait until the midterm.