Saturday, February 19, 2005
How To Be Constantly Reminded Of Your Ex-Boyfriend/Ex-Fiance

While in Guelph two days ago, re-meeting my friend's roommate.

Hi.
Oh, hi.
I'm Shirley by the by, A's friend.
Oh yeah, are you from Kitchener? From WLU?
Almost, Waterloo. And yep, WLU.
Oh yeah. You're the one who's engaged right?
Well...I was engaged....
Oh. Well, I'm awkward. Sorry.
No, that's okay. I get that a lot. Don't worry about it.

Last night, chatting with a friend I haven't talked to in a while.

So how are you?
I'm alright, a bit bored. Anything new with you?
Not really, a bit bored and lonely myself.
Hey, so I heard that you and Jason are engaged now. Congrats!
Uhm. Actually, we just broke up a few weeks ago. But yes, we were engaged.
Oh. Oh no. I'm so sorry.
Don't worry, it's fine.

Alright people, let's get our stories straight. Yes, we were engaged, and I'd like to think it was something other than a desperate attempt to save the relationship (ie: that he loved me enough and actually wanted to spend the rest of his life with me), but that doesn't matter because no, we're not engaged anymore. We're not even together. He's been wanting out of this thing for a while, broke up with me at 3 in the morning on the 27th of January and I certainly think about him enough without having everyone remind me.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't be bitter. And really, I'm taking everything in stride and it's not like I unleash all hell's fury on the people that honestly don't know. I'm nice. I'm patient. I smile and shake my head and tell people not to worry because it's okay, I'm okay, I'm having bad days but I'm doing just fine because I can totally deal with the fact that he doesn't choo-choo-choose me anymore. Not.

Sigh. He used to giggle and call me his 'other e'.