Tuesday, February 22, 2005
Movies Are Starting To Make Me Think

I should probably stop watching romantic comedies. Or at least wait a little while, until after I get out of the post-breakup stage. I just saw Hitch, and it was good enough to come sealed with my stamp of approval and recommendation. It was entertaining, laugh out loud funny and contained just enough romance to make you swoon and not puke. The puke-worthy parts came when Will Smith would say things like, I'm taking a leap of faith...something about flying...You make me fly. Without you I just fall..I'm falling, falling hard. Falling in love that is. Y'know, in case you didn't get it or something.

Yeah, I got it. The icky metaphor made me raise my eyebrow and cringe a little. Sure, it was sweet, and I'd probably melt a bit if someone said that to me, but do real people talk like that?

I find myself starting to believe that people should be able to fly on their own. Having a partner should just complement that. Fly together or something, hold hands in the air, but you should be able to do it all by your awesome self. You're awesome, remember? You can do most anything if only you try. If you can't fly by yourself and need someone else in order to do it, what does that say about you? The same goes for the You Complete Me line that girls love from Jerry Maguire. Yeah, it sounds wonderful and oh-so-romantic and wouldn't you want to marry the guy that says that to you? Lately, I've realized that I want to be complete on my own (I was at one point, but I'm a bit dented and rough around the edges now). Yes, I want someone there to share my life with no doubt, but what if they ever go away? Then I'm missing a chunk that can't be replaced unless I find someone else to complete me? Ridiculous. I don't want to be me-with-a-gaping-hole and only whole after someone else is in the picture. I should be able to be my own person, by myself. Just in case I end up an old maid. Oh sure, I need people....but in another sense, I don't.

I'm taking an Asian Religions class right now and it's the perfect time for me to learn about (some aspects of) Buddhism. Don't hold on too tightly to anything. Cherish, be fond of and be close to, just don't attach. Learn to let go. I cock my head to the side and consider it...and I think to myself, If we part and go our separate ways, we'll be just fine. But What if I want more than just fine? What if I want extra-ordinary? What if I want something real?

Real can get ugly. Even real love. Real love comes with arguments and compromises, it comes with facing your own shortcomings and embracing the other's. It comes with more than you ever imagined possible, good and bad. Sometimes, in order to be happy, you have to be sad first. Real love is hard to find, but if you're so lucky, I say screw Buddhism and hang onto it as tightly as you can.