Wednesday, March 23, 2005
Hooked

I am proud to say that I didn't get my first computer until I was 16 years old. By that time I was in Grade 10 and it was pretty standard that you had to hand in assignments that were typed up, double spaced, fresh from the printer. I am proud to say that I used a typewriter instead. The word 'draft' made my heart sink because I know I'd have to type up a copy, get it 'edited' (read: someone scrawling over my pages in red pen), and then type up another 'good copy'. This got bad in Grade 8 when I had to do TWO drafts. I was hunched over the typewriter for days. And this wasn't the kind of typewriter that had the automatic white-out dispenser either, if I made a typo, I had to pull the paper out, apply the white-out, wait for it to dry and try to insert the paper properly to make sure the letters would line up.

September of 1999 was a good month. I was 16 and I had a computer. With Internet.

I felt a bit awkward at first because I didn't know what to do really. There were no websites for me to visit, I didn't have anyone on my ICQ list and there was only one other person that I exchanged e-mails with (take a guess - yes, it was Jason, quel surprise).

Almost six years later and I am most definitely hooked. I read a whole bunch of different blogs daily, take courses online, keep up with friends on MSN and receive about seventeen e-mails a day (I know that's a small number compared to some other important-types or web celebs, but it's a fair amount for me!). The thing is, I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Quebec City and Montreal and I've been having mini-anxiety attacks because I will be without my precious e-mail for four whole days. Four days! No internet, no blogs, no e-mail.

Part of me says that this will be a good exercise in...something about not depending on the net for everything. And yes, I might survive the four days and come back refreshed, having realized that I do not need to give in to technology, that I do not need to be oppressed yada yada yada. Or I'll come back on Sunday night, turn on my computer, check up on everyone's blogs and do the e-mail thing for hours on end.

Yeah, probably the second one.