Monday, March 21, 2005
I (heart) My Roomie




Tanya and I just spent our entire Sunday sleeping in, talking about boys and sex, eating, whining about getting fat, laughing, trying to figure out our inexplicable and increasingly messed up lives, telling stories, talking to each other for hours on MSN even though our rooms are next to each other, asking where all the nice boys are, and wondering when one will love us (individually, not as a pair - though don't we make a lovely one?). We do make quite the pair. We're both Tauruses, two very similar peas in the sometimes suffocating pod of life, who seem to go through the same kinds of problems but on different days.

Sometimes it feels like we're a married couple.

I look terrible today.
No you don't.
You say that all the time.
That's because I think you're pretty all the time.

I look fat in this.
No you don't.
You wouldn't tell me even if I did.
Sigh. You're not fat.

But this strange, husband-wife banter we've got going on is comforting in a familiar and funny way. We say good morning, have a nice day, how was your day and good night. We are honest and make fun of each other, we share the bathroom mirror (she's taller than I am so she uses the upper half and I, the lower), she helps me curl my enormous amount of hair, we share food and eat each others' leftovers. We walk to class together on Mondays and Wednesdays, sing songs, procrastinate together but also make sure the other one does their work. She does the dishes and I put them away. We share bottles of wine, dance together and look out for one another at bars and clubs. She folds my laundry and I get her to try new foods. We support and reassure each other, share secrets, sorrows and joys, are not embarrassed to smell bad or look terrible in front of each other (this happens often), we cook, eat and watch TV together, have tons of fun, we pee with the door open and brush our teeth together at night before bed.

We call each other 'Dear'.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.