Saturday, May 14, 2005
And Here I Am

I left my house on Sunday evening and got the nagging feeling that I was forgetting something. Mark and I went through my checklist, but it seemed that I had everything. When I was on the road to Ottawa on a coach with 39 students, 3 teachers and another coach in front of us, I realized that I forgot my journal. Granted, I haven't had much time to write anything that isn't a reminder, but now that my tour is over and I'm at home, I've resorted to writing on scraps of paper meant for the recycling bin.

I suppose this could be a good thing because my present journal is near done and there's something a bit sad and sigh-worthy about finishing a journal. I bought this one at the end of November and just six months later it's all filled up with quite a bit of unhappiness. I wonder if [read: hope] it'll end on a good note.

My trip turned out very well and I actually miss my kids a fair bit - after five days with the same people it's hard not to get attached. Doing my goodbye speech on the coach was more nerve-racking than doing my hello speech. I've learned the importance of initial room inspections at hotels, and that any problem can be fixed, even if it does mean you need to spend an hour and a half on a street in Ottawa and flag down an RCMP officer. I know now that I can still be energetic on four to six hours of sleep every day for five days and that most kids thrive on competition. Ottawa is an easy and important city to give tours of, but I prefer Quebec City because it is so much more interesting and absolutely beautiful. I will never tire of the architecture and history. I'm glad that I get to go back soon and hopefully I'll get more time to snap some photos.

I'm at home for a few days before my next tour and I'm a lucky gal because I've already had the chance to meet up with some old friends from high school. We caught up, went to the Art Gallery and caught up some more over tea and snacks. My mum is wonderful and made me an appointment for a facial tomorrow (after she got me a massage just two weeks ago too) in addition to shopping for a new skirt. I don't need a new skirt but she wants me to go with her to get one anyway. Shrug. Sure.

The Art Gallery is awesome and May being Museum Month, admission is free! It's not a good idea to go in groups as everyone moves at a different pace (I like to linger and soak in as many things as I can). I found myself rushed and I couldn't finish watching that clip on Christo and Jeanne-Claude. Drat.

Random crypticness creeps in at night so I'd better stop writing now before it's too late. It's time for bed and I'm sure there will be plenty of random crypticness for y'all later.