Thursday, May 05, 2005
Charmed

Sometimes I can be a whiny bitch. Sometimes I get into rant mode. Did you read that post about being angry? Yeesh.

The feelings are obviously there, and I feel them (I wouldn't sink so low as to make up shite about being mopey). But the truth is, that's all either just residual teenaged angst or artsy angst. I think that a part of me didn't quite live the teenager title up to it's fullest, so I'm making up for it now. Or maybe I'm going through that early-to-mid-twenties stage where I want to be as artsy as possible so I channel all my bitterness into my blog and then I go make it into a book. Or something.

If you consider the facts, I live a pretty charmed life.

I am financially comfortable to the point where I am able to pay for my university education by myself. I had an awesome job on campus. There have been two instances when I've had a job interview and got it offered to me mere hours after I left the office. I had the luxury of turning one of those down two weeks ago. I get good marks in school. I do fun stuff outside the classroom like act in plays and then get awards for it. I get other awards for my volunteer work and my marks. I recently got a part in a film. My job for the next two months involves taking kids on trips to Ottawa and Quebec City. I have enough clothing to clothe forty women for forty days (and possibly forty nights). I constantly eat neat foods from around the world and can do whatever I wish for the next week. I like my hair. And then I get accepted to attend a conference in California.

Yeah.

The Institute for Humane Studies likes me and the words that I put on their application form so they're allowing me to attend their Liberty, Art & Culture Seminar in July. I'm excited for a number of reasons. First, the e-mail that was sent to me stated that they are encouraging students to bring music, guitars, short films, poetry, to prepare an interpretive dance, a song, and all other art forms as there will be lots of time allocated to sharing, screenings and performances of our creative works. All this in addition to "thought-provoking lectures, lively discussion, and hands-on learning". Wow. I'm going to be surrounded by smart people and art for a week.

Moreover, the seminar is being held at Chapman University in Orange, California. So from July 2 to July 8, I'm going to be in Orange County, CA. Eat your heart out, OC fans. The university campus looks beautiful (as most US campuses are) and it also has a piece of the Berlin Wall. Neat. And according to a map, Disneyland is just one centimeter West of where I'll be. What's cooler still, is that I will be in the US for the Fourth of July! I'm actually quite excited to see what kind of extravagance there will be for the holiday as I've only ever seen it on TV or movie screens. Mmm, American nationalism.

Another great thing is that the seminar is free(!) so all I have to do is find a way down there and find a way home. I'm hoping to fly down a day or so early and stay a day or so later and do some sightseeing in LA. Anyone want to come along for the trip? I'm serious - if you're willing to fly down with me, we can hang for the first and last two days, and in between you can do anything you want.

So yeah, I do a bit of complaining every now and then, but it serves well to make news like this just a tad more exciting. Good can't exist without the bad and all that, right?