Monday, May 02, 2005
Twenty-One

I turned twenty-one in the arms of my lovely friend Nicola last night and for the moments when I was out with her and her roomies, I was having a great time even though I am not particularly happy about having turned twenty-one. I sound older than I feel and I don't like sounding old (in the eighth grade I called one of my friends and she told me that when she picked up the phone she thought I was the teacher - I've never really gotten over that). It really seemed like just another day, except it was used as a good reason to give me money, get the extended family together for brunch and for girls to invite me over for fajitas and cake. I didn't make the day anything special because I spent a good chunk of it on the road travelling back to an empty house, then cleaning out my room and putting together a new shelf from Ikea. Happy Birthday indeed.

The evening shaped up in a funny way, celebrating with people I didn't know, who had no real good reasons to make me food or buy me drinks or drive an hour and a half to come and see me. I felt a bit pampered and this made me uneasy. I have to admit that I haven't felt 'special' in a while and the sudden outpouring of it last night was unnerving. I became (more) self-conscious and annoyed people with my offers to help or do something. I literally tried to hide under the table when the entire bar and band erupted into cheers and started to say nice things and sing to me.

When I wasn't busy trying to hide the fact that I really don't mind being the center of attention, many photos were taken. Here's a sampling of what last night was all about (aka The Shirley & Niki Gallery - With A Special Attempt At Captioning!).


Me, Niki and the Cake.


Niki loves me, even at the bar.


Especially at the bar.


Yes, we are indeed trying to share a nacho. One, single nacho chip.


I told you this is a lot of me and Niki photos.


Yeah, I'm kind of getting sick of us.


One last attempt at trying to each nachos seductively.


We thought Niki still looked hungry, in that non-seductive way. Sorta. Wow, that's a lot of hands in the same general area.


There seemed to be something left on Niki's finger and we were obviously (and stupidly) very intrigued by it.


The only sensible thing to do, of course, was to lick it. Which I am obviously (and stupidly) doing.


This is Adrian, an all around nice guy. Here he is liking Jackie just a wee bit much.


Too bad this is what Jackie really thinks of Adrian.


I got sassy with Kim.


This was my punishment. Happy Birthday to me.