Sunday, June 26, 2005
A La Prochaine

So, after our big End Of Season Meeting, snackies and a few pints at the bar, I'm officially done with the Tour Manager thing, but I really do hope to be back next year. So far, it's the best job I've ever had. I will admit that there have been moments when I want to go home or cry or scream, but there are also moments when I feel so satisfied because I played with the itinerary to give us time to go to a chocolaterie and ice cream shoppe or to a gigantic mall with an amusement park inside (yes, I did all these things - aren't I the best Tour Manager ever?), or when I see the kids having a great time, or when I know that things are going really well and that everyone is happy.

I love this industry and this whole Tour Guide Thing because (and you'll have to excuse the dorky analogy here) sometimes it can feel like Christmas. Or any other time of the year when you get big happy unexpected surprises (that was redundant - surprises are usually unexpected). I can't even begin to describe the feeling that I get when I see another guide on the road, at the same service center, walking the streets of Quebec City with their group, or standing at Place D'Armes waiting for students to return from lunch. When I ran into Dan and Steph I squealed because I hadn't seen them all season and there we were at Tim Horton's together in Newcastle! And then, seeing Sonia on Rue D'Eglise walking from breakfast and screaming "NO WAY!!" (in front of all our kids) because though we did the Vagina Monologues together just three months ago, we had no idea that not only were we in the same business, but that we were also competitors! And then Ryan from high school! And he was all like, "Is that really you?" and I was all like, "NO WAY!!" and then we hugged and I squealed and we thoroughly embarrassed ourselves in front of our kids (well, not really, tours guides don't get embarrassed you see).

In addition to it feeling like Christmas (it really does, for me at least) I also like seeing other guides because it means I get a hug. Tour guides hug a lot. I like that. I get hugs at the end of my tours too, from the students that really like me and sometimes from the teachers, but it's nice to get hugs during the week. And in a job where you're constantly on the go, getting a new group every week, it can be difficult to find stability. Seeing a familiar face can provide that stability and comfort that hotel rooms and suitcases suck out of you. Working with suppliers is great too - I love knowing the employees at the attractions and saying, "It's so nice to see you again!" or "See you next week!" or "A la prochaine!" in the case of Quebec places.

Saying goodbye is hard and I don't like it. I wish that I could see my friendly guide friends' faces again, but I won't for a while. So to everyone that I've met and worked with: It's been uber fantastic and I'll miss you all! See you next year!