Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Just One Minute

The first time I got acquainted with the term 'Death Cab for Cutie' was on a label to a homemade CD that a friend made for me over a year and a half ago. I was going on a long bus trip and he was sweet enough to make a couple illegal compilations of his favourite indie music to keep me company for the 17 hours I would spend on the Greyhound. I eyed the tracks suspiciously, Death Cab for Cutie? What in the name of...? But. They were good. They ARE good. I fell in love with A Movie Script Ending immediately and to this day, it still remains one of my favourite songs.

Over the summer I combed through their website in hopes of finding a concert nearby that I could go to, but alas they weren't gracing Canada with their presence. In September I was made aware of a concert in Toronto about a week before it went on and of course, it was sold out. I vowed to never let it happen again. Right away, I signed up for all sorts of mailing lists so I would be among the first to know if they were ever to set foot on a stage near me.

Last Thursday, I got an email: Death Cab For Cutie and Franz Ferdinand Co-Headline U.S. Spring Tour. Sah-weet! Since I'm such a special, loyal fan [read: I'm on the mailing list] I get a chance at advance pre-sale tickets! w00t. Tickets go on sale at 1:30pm on the 7th - I write it down in three different places so I don't forget.

Tuesday the 7th (today): I start checking the time once every five minutes when 1pm rolls around. At 1:28 I start logging into the site. 1:29 and I'm in. I see that the BUY button has been activated so I click! I've got my credit card lying in front of me, I'm all ready to go. Ooh, the rush, the excitement of it all was almost too much! Crap, the page didn't load properly, too many people must be trying to get on. So, I click Refresh. It's 1:30, perfect! The page refreshes. And then I see that the BUY button is no longer there. In the THREE SECONDS it took for that damn page to REFRESH, THE TICKETS SOLD OUT!!!

I pick my jaw up off the floor and look at the time. 1:31pm. All I did was REFRESH! One minute? The tickets sold out in ONE FREAKING MINUTE?? C'MON PEOPLE, THROW ME A BONE HERE!