Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Moving Out and Up and Onward and On and On and On

So I've been a bit AWOL lately and this can be attributed to the fact that I've been busy seeing my friends while I still can, going to the Farmer's Market and Sigma Chi BBQs, drinking beer, and putting band aids on my heels because the new ballet flats are torturing my poor tootsies (but they look so pretty)! I've also been living without a computer for a few days - GASP! - and you know, I've been packing my life into boxes because, uhm, I'm moving.

So, that's some news right there. About a month ago, as I was sitting on a city bus riding towards campus, I made the decision to move out of my house. It all happened rather quickly; I had some time to myself and as I listened to music and pondered and ruminated and thought about everything that was right and wrong in the world, I concluded that it made a lot of sense for me to pack up and move. Simple as that. It was (and still is) a big step to take, but within the span of two hours, I felt so sure about it that I had already put my proverbial foot down. It's taken work - there was chasing down and talking to the landlord, there was finding an extra girl to live here, there was packing and moving and unpacking, there was calling customer service about home phone service and being put on hold for seventeen minutes, there was dealing with leftover bills and yet, I hadn't felt so certain about anything in a long time. Despite all the details, deciding to do it was a lot easier than telling the roomie.

After I did, we didn't talk for about three days.

And that was really hard for us. Probably harder for her. I sprung the decision on her last minute when we were right in the middle of making plans for next year and finding two new housemates. We were talking about paint colours and decorations and hosting parties and I had even just bought a new shoe rack for us. It was a huge, unexpected surprise, but she's been understanding of my decision which I'm very grateful for. This whole debacle reminds me of that episode of Friends where Monica and Chandler decide to live together and kick Rachel out of the apartment; there's that scene at the end where Monica and Rachel have that big fight, but in the end all they do is admit to missing each other's wonderful roomie qualities.

It's about the same over here. She moved back home for the summer just yesterday and I miss her already. I don't know what we're going to do without each other in the Fall.

As of right now, all my stuff is back in M-town at my parents' house and I'm leaving this city in less than 24 hours. I've been living out of a bag for a few days and though it's kind of weird and sad, it's a lifestyle that I'll have to get used to in the next few months (more news on that to come). What's scary and wonderful about this is that I'm only living with my parents in M-town for the summer when I'm not on the road, and once August/September comes around, I'm going to be a bit homeless and will then face finding a new place to live when I have to come back to the Loo for school.

I love uncertainty. It leaves so much room for possibilities.