Thursday, August 24, 2006
Directionless



Whooo to the hoooooo! My iPod is here! Our inaugural run is this evening! Now, if my body can stop being allergic to the world, then maybe I can go outdoors without the fear of losing my brain through my nostrils when I sneeze.

***

I have, for the first time, just maxed out my credit card. Wow.

It's that new MacBook that's apparently causing all this trouble; well, that and my spending habits that seem to have racked up over $800 in purchases this past month (wtf did I buy??) so the order for my brand new beautiful shiny lappy couldn't go through. Argh! I had to call Apple three times, my credit card company twice, and speak to six people before I could get my credit limit increased to nearly double what it was before. I went $500 over the usual student limit, but the lady on the phone gave it to me anyway because I "pay it well". Damn right I do. Whoooo, I'm a responsible big girl now.

Person number seven at Apple is named Michael. Michael is a saint. He was finally able to authorize my purchase and payment (phew!) and, after listening to what an awful time I had trying to work everything out this afternoon, he changed my order to priority shipping - a value of $170 - free of charge! YAY! My MacBook is going to come on time after all! Yay for Michael The Saint.

***

I never thought I would say this, but as of last night, I think I have a new favourite movie genre: sports movies. I went to a special sneak-preview of Invincible (thanks to my uber cool uncle with all the hook-ups) and I must say, I really, really liked it despite the fact that I wasn't too interested in seeing a movie about football. Perhaps I enjoyed the experience more because it was all 'special', what, with the tight security, special radio station guests, draws, prizes (I snagged an Invincible t-shirt!) and free mini-footballs and whatnot. Gary and I split an Ant Bully Kids' Combo so now I have a new cup (with lid!) and two new pencil crayons (one erasable and one coconut scented!) while he went home with a nice popcorn bucket (with handle!) and a Kinder Surprise toy (a dino-fossil that changes colour!). We're 22, I swear.

Lesson Learned Number One: Sports movies usually go beyond the particular sport. It's all about heart.
Number Two: Disney knows what they're doing.
Number Three: Mark Wahlberg = COOL.

Credit goes to Adam (hi!) for introducing me to the glorious world of football in the first place. I can now surprise boys by holding a ball properly, throwing it and making it spiral in the air. We watched Any Given Sunday together last summer and I got so many goosebumps during the coach's pep talks that I needed to pull the grey fleecey blanket tighter around me while letting out a great big Aww!. Coach Carter (this one's about basketball) made me cry...while I was on a bus with all my kids on tour. I don't know if they thought I was sweet or just a wuss. And now with Invincible, my love for sports movies is definitely getting stronger. Whodda thunk it?

It comes out tomorrow! Go see it.

***

And in other news, My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us...Nothing. Dear Scientists, I roll my eyes at thee! Yeesh.

***

Dear Internet, Be faster! Gaaaaahhhhhhhhhh be FASTER! My geeky Internet-y multi-tasking can't be efficient under these circumstances!