Sunday, August 27, 2006
Fruity

I have the attention span of a teaspoon. Over two hours ago, I set out to post some pictures of funky fruits from South East Asia that I love and now, after finally finishing sending emails, receiving and organizing music, chatting on MSN and browsing a portraiture site, it's time to get a move on with those fruits. (Complete sentences and complex thoughts not included.)

 

Left: Dragonfruit. This is a special bunch we came across while driving through the Malaysian countryside. Normally, the 'meat' of the fruit is white and not magenta coloured. Though, with the smattering of tiny black seeds, fuschia skin and bright green fins, they look space-age-ish either way.
Right: Sugar Apples. My family and I like referring to them as "grenade fruit".

 

Left: Rambutan. Kind of like really hairy, freaky lychees. They're not as juicy or sweet as lychees, so I think that the only reason why I like them at all is because they look weird.
Right: Mangosteen! My favourite of the exotic fruits.

M is for Mangosteen*. Yay for fuzzy pictures of my favourite!

 
 

Favourites not included here:
- soursop
- jackfruit

Another popular South East Asian fruit is the durian. It is similar in appearance to the jackfruit, but it is far from being as delicious. Most people will recognize durian from far, far away because of it's distinctive smell. And by distinctive, I mean awful. This is the extent to which durian smells pungently terrible:


It's prohibited in hotels! I guess they don't want to freak out the foreign guests.

And for kicks, here is a mini-banana. These do not smell bad. Yum.



* Printed on a t-shirt I saw someone wearing in Hong Kong.