Thursday, September 07, 2006
Here!

iHeart my iPod and now my new MacBook too. Woohoo!



I'm looking disgruntled in that photo probably because it took me ALL DAY to transfer my measly files from my desktop to the new lappy. Turns out the network in my house isn't actually networking anything. Who knew.

Getting used to Mac OS X wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be; it's actually been fun clicking around and discovering all the neat little features that have totally won me over to the Apple side of things. For example, I can train my new lappy to recognize my voice and certain commands. I just say "Charlotte" (yeah, I named my new MacBook Charlotte), it responds with a purr (you bet!) and then I can ask her to tell me what time it is, open a new document or quit the application I'm finished using. Pure awesomeness.

Tomorrow, I pack bits of my life into boxes in preparation for The Move Back to School. And only, ONLY, when I've done that am I allowing myself to pop downtown to see The Weakerthans and Metric (again). Yay for getting into other another university's Frosh Week concert for free!

PS: You're not the only one who's noticed that this blog has gotten boring as of late. I'll stir up some drama soon so that there's more to report. Here's a fun story in the meantime:

Last May, a good friend (Pratik) and I were heading downtown to grab some lunch, see a Jays game and generally catch up with each other. This story actually starts in the middle of a flight of stairs. We were climbing up to get to the train platform when we heard it pull into the station. He, having the luxury of longer limbs, managed to race up the steps two at a time and leapt into the train car just as the doors slid closed behind him. But in front of me. Being fairly petite, my short little legs couldn't carry me as far nor as quickly, so I missed the doors by a MILLISECOND, I swear. We stood on both sides of the door gawking at each other and laughing a bit at the sheer ridiculousness of how movie-like the last three seconds had been. We were waving pitifully to each other as the train pulled away (not to worry, he wasn't going to leave me there, we agreed to meet at the next station) when I heard a voice say, "Did you lose a friend?"

This wasn't any normal voice really, it was a British voice. And when I turned around, there was a young man standing there, wearing some sort of cowboy hat if memory serves, and he was smiling at me because he had saw what had happened to Pratik and I. "Yes! I did lose a friend!" I exclaimed...and thus began our conversation.

His name was John and he was studying at a school in Toronto on exchange. England was home and he was bumming around Toronto for a few more days before taking off for more American travels and then heading back. In the few minutes it took for the next train to arrive and pull up to the next station (where Pratik was faithfully waiting for me) I had decided that this British John character was really rather nice. And so, when it was time for Pratik and I to get off at our stop, I asked him if he'd like to exchange email addresses. With a smile, he agreed. Pratik, by the way, thought it was very strange and awkward for me to do this (again, if memory is doing its job correctly) but it worked out nicely in the end.

John and I chatted a bit online every now and then. Not too often at all. But a few weeks ago, I got a message from him saying that he was coming back to Canada to visit friends for a few weeks and that he would love to meet up if I had the time. Love! To meet up! "Yes!" was my response. You can imagine my surprise when he actually called my house tonight looking to hash out plans for getting together next week. It was exciting and unbelievable and wow! I'm meeting John next week. He's coming to the Loo to check out the night life in a university town and I was elated to promise him a good time.

So that's that. A funny incident at the train station, a simple comment from a stranger and all of the sudden I have a friend who's visiting me from England. Hopefully he'll be around when it's my turn to get to the UK.