Monday, September 18, 2006
A Wet Bum, A Prick, Higher Education, And Then Some

Of course, the one time that I decide to leave my bike outdoors overnight, it rains. Of course, the one day that I decide to wear light khakis and a white t-shirt to school and not bring my umbrella, it rains. The one day that I've ever had to ride my bike in the rain, I learn the lesson that the back wheel splashes water UP onto your upper bum so that when I dismount, I have a patch of dirty rain+wheel water on my lower back. Attractive. Next time: Raincoat. Fanny pack actually worn over the fanny. Umbrella hat. Glasses with wipers.

That's how I started my day. Then I was late for my appointment with Canadian Blood Services (I signed up to donate blood (for the first time ever!) last week), which hardly mattered because they turned me away in the end. Here I am, wanting to save lives, and they tell me I have to come back in January because I was in Malaysia during the past 6 months which is a high-risk area for malaria. Pffft. I suppose this can be seen as a good thing since I was nervous as all hell about having blood taken from my body as opposed to the blood leaving it on its own. I've never donated before (I know, I know, It's In Me To Give) and the only time I remember having blood taken for a test, I was unconscious in the emergency room. It's also probably a good thing because the tip of my finger is still sore from where they pricked it to test my hemoglobin and iron levels. I can't imagine what reaction I would have had if I had actually been able to go through the procedure of losing half a pint of blood through a very large vein/artery. I can't help it, I'm a wimp.

I did feel bad though - sure I was super nervous and lamenting the fact that I hadn't called anyone to join me as moral support, but I figured this is one of those good, character building things you do by yourself. Being scared is good! I repeated in my head, because then you can conquer it. Alas, t'was not to be for me this aft. When the reality of, "There is a six month deferral period for malaria" finally sank in, I looked forlornly at my 1st time donor! sticker on my chest and handed the cookies back to the nurse because I felt like I didn't deserve to eat them. I'm not saving any lives today, I shouldn't be eating these Oreos.

In my class tonight, I felt like a big snob. Taking notes felt useless because I either knew that already, or it was just obvious. But honestly, isn't EVERYTHING a social construction? And can people please not relay their comments to the class if most of it is going to consist of "Uhm, well" and "Whatever" and "Stuff like that" and "Yeah" and incomplete sentences and thoughts that just don't make sense because you can't speak them properly! See what I mean? I'm a snot.

Then I came home and had salad at 9:30pm and further lamented the fact that I didn't get to donate blood because it meant that I didn't bring my gym stuff with me to school (no strenuous activity for six to eight hours after donating!) and therefore did not go to the gym at all for no good reason. People who save lives can skip going to the gym.

Does anyone out there use MSN for Mac? Because Adium is being a bitch and though I'd like to think that I'm not hardwired to my instant messaging, I can't do without it for too long.