Sunday, October 15, 2006
Reasons Why I Should Quit School And Become A Housewife

I always make my bed. My room is always neat.

You should hear me squeal and clap when I get to go grocery shopping. Going to the local Farmers' Market will get you an even better reaction.

I love home furnishings stores. I can spend hours at Ikea.

I make lists. To Do lists, To Buy lists, all sorts of lists. They keep me sane.

I know tons about loose leaf tea.

I have my daily schedule up on the fridge. Just in case.

I love cleaning up after a meal. Actually, I love cleaning up in general. I will always pick up after people. I can't stand leaving a mess.

Hosting a dinner party gets me more excited than spending a night out at the bar.

I know how to cook tofu and make it taste good.

I love to cook. And bake. And eat.

If you come within five feet of my non-stick pans with anything sharp (see: cutlery) or rough (see: brillo pad), I will ask you to leave my kitchen.

I separate my dish towels from my hand towels.

I am not afraid to pack or unpack.

I know how to store mushrooms so that they last at least a week and a half. (Paper bag, never plastic, crisper drawer - yes, it's that simple.)

I now swear by Tupperware.

I love laundry. All of it. Sorting (darks! lights! whites! delicates!), pre-treating (bleach pens, I love you), setting the machine, hanging it to dry and then the subsequent folding party!

You should see how organized my underwear and sock drawer is. It's scary.

I love running errands.

I can make soup. From scratch.

Though I don't like vacuuming or dusting, I will always do the dishes and I really, really like putting them away when they're dry. Really.

I can carve a whole chicken really neatly, with minimal mess.

I know about kale.

Nothing gets me to cream my jeans like walking into a kitchenwares store.

I know the secret of putting dates into fruit smoothies for some added panache.

I watch home decorating shows, do-it-yourself shows, cooking shows, baby shows, what not to wear shows.

For more evidence, see:

Late brekkie on Saturday morning. Cereal combination of: Corn Flakes, Muslix, almond and raisin granola, served with milk (duh), banana slices and blueberries; 12-grain bagels; very berry yogurt with fresh strawberries; tangerine juice.

A day trip to the St. Jacobs' Farmers Market.

Dinner on Saturday night. Started with marble cheese on tomato and basil melba toasty crackers and herb and garlic melba toasty crackers. Salad: Romaine lettuce, light greek feta dressing, tomatoes, red peppers, parmesan, lots of freshly ground pepper. Main: Thai curry rice with broccoli, carrots, onion, zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms, tofu and chicken.

Dessert: A trip to the see the symphony orchestra play Verdi, Bloch, Brahms, and hear an aria from Madame Butterfly. Browsing an art gallery.

The one thing that was missing but will be made up for later with lots of candles and a book: A bath.

Who am I honestly trying to kid here? I already am a housewife.


9:47pm
See also: Tonight when I spent two hours doing dishes, preparing a meal, browsing through a Tupperware magazine, cooking chicken for tomorrow's lunch and dinner, marinating more chicken (mmm, curry!) and doing more dishes when I clearly have an assignment due tomorrow night that I am nowhere near finishing. Housewifery sounds great when I despise schoolwork so much.